When Roswell, GA Police Officers responded to a 911 call regarding the welfare of two dogs, they were deeply upset.
Officers responded to a tip that two dogs in the same Home Depot parking lot were left in their humans’ hot cars.
“We arrived out there to the scene and saw the dog appeared to be in distress, panting heavily in the back seat,” said officer Lisa Holland.
It was 97 degrees outside, but when the officer took the temperature of the car, it was 150 degrees.
To spread awareness about the dangers of leaving animals in overheated cars, they shared this message on Facebook:
There is little that saddens us more than seeing a dog in distress. Today, officers were called out to a parking lot where a customer spotted a dog locked in a car.
While the dog’s owner was shopping inside the cool, air-conditioned store. Her animal was suffering inside the sweltering hot vehicle. It’s 97 degrees outside!
Although the front windows were cracked, officers show that the temperature inside the car was 150 degrees.
This month, we have responded to numerous calls of dogs trapped in hot cars. We know that dog owners love their pets, and aren’t intentionally trying to harm them.
But people must know that temperatures inside the car can soar to scorching heights within minutes.
The heat is extra tough for dogs because they can only cool themselves by panting and sweating through their paw pads.
Please help us spread the word to NEVER leave pets inside of a hot car, and know that we will always respond to help these animals when you call 9-1-1!”
The ASPCA indicates that even on a 78-degree day, with the windows open, a car can heat up to be 160 degrees. They assert that it only takes minutes for your dog to die in this situation.
If you see an animal trapped in a hot car, call 911 immediately.